ATME 2016 Pre-Conference
Performance Participation & Call for Proposals
Devised Work: Body and Mind in Motion
August 10 - 11, 2016
Convene with ATME members in August of 2016 for two days of sharing work, practitioner fellowship, participatory sessions, media showings, a guest artist workshop, and a public performance. The ATME Pre-Conference will begin (prior to the ATHE Conference) on Wednesday, August 10th at 8:00am and end Thursday, August 11th at 12:00pm, after which the ATHE Conference begins at 1:30 pm.
2016 ATME Theme:
Devised Work: Body and Mind in Motion
2016 ATME Guest Artist:
We are thrilled to announce that our Guest Artist for the 2016 Pre-Conference will be Andrew Palermo. Andrew recently choreographed the Broadway production of Allegiance. Andrew (with Taye Diggs) is the co-founding Artistic Director of dre.dance, a contemporary dance company. In addition to his Broadway performance credits as an actor and movement artist, Andrew has choreographed many award-winning productions. He is currently on faculty at UC, Irvine. He also specializes in movement classes for children on the autism spectrum, and speaks nationally on the integration of the arts and special needs issues. In the theme of Devised Work, Andrew will set a work on our membership body during the 2016 Pre-Con.
We invite your artistic participation in several ways:
- Performer: Performers will participate in rehearsals and performance of a work by our guest artist, Andrew Palermo. Note that participating as a performer will not prevent you from participating in other Pre-Conference activities. Performers will be asked to commit to an evening rehearsal on Tuesday August 9th 6-10 pm (the evening before the official start of the Pre-Conference). Performers of all ages and physical abilities are encouraged to submit for participation.
- Media Presentations: 25-minute sessions. Show a brief section of your work in digital/dvd format, share your process, and allow for discussion. The digital/DVD presentation might be a section of a fully realized physical theatre work, a segment of choreography, a portion of a rehearsal process, or examples of improvisations that address the Pre-Conference theme.
- Workshop/Teaching Exercises: 25-minute sessions (including room for discussion). Present an experiential workshop or lead a class session related to the Pre-Conference theme. Members are encouraged to expand, probe, and suggest other avenues of theme-related investigation. Both individual and group presentations are welcome.
- Papers or Research Presentations: 25-minute sessions (including room for discussion). Develop a panel, discuss a new book, or present research related to the 2016 theme.
- Participation: You are highly encouraged to be a non-presenting participant, benefitting the Pre-Conference ensemble with your presence, and giving yourself access to the ideas, methodologies, and practices within.
Ideas for Proposals:
We highly encourage you to develop and submit proposals that relate to the given theme and your field of interest. We welcome all related ideas and encourage proposers to think outside the box as they see relevance. Both individual and group presentations are welcome. Note that all performers, presenters, and general participants must register for the Pre-Conference. For registration information please visit the ATME Pre-Conference Registration Form.
Proposal Submission Guidelines
- Submit a brief statement of interest, 250 words or less.
- Submit a biography, 250 words or less. If selected, your biography will be included in the Pre-Conference Handbook.
- Submit a current image or headshot (.jpg)
Performers will be asked to commit to an evening rehearsal on Tuesday August 9th 6-10pm (the evening before the official start of the Pre-Conference).
- Media, Workshop, Teaching, and Research Presentations:
- Submit an abstract/description of your presentation, 250 words or less. If your proposal is selected, your abstract will be included in the Pre-Conference Handbook.
- Submit a biography for each participant, 250 words or less. If selected, your biography will be included in the Pre-Conference Handbook.
Your proposal must include full names, titles, contact information, and relevant affiliations of all participants. Incomplete proposals will not be accepted.
- Please assemble all required information in one clearly labeled document (WORD doc).
- The executive board of ATME will review the submission and respond by April 15th, 2016.
Submission Postmark Deadline is April 1st 2016
All submissions or inquiries should be sent to ATME Vice President Kurt Heinlein at firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration Dates and Fees:
Early Registration-Postmarked by March 28, 2016
$40.00 ATME Members
$30.00 ATME Student Members
Registration-Postmarked by June 20, 2016. If registering after 6/20/2016, please bring your registration and late fees to the pre-conference for on-site registration.
$50.00 ATME Members
$40.00 ATME Student Members
On-Site Registration- (Participants are highly encouraged to pre-register)
$70.00 ATME Members
$60.00 ATME Student Members
Dates of Note:
March 28th: Early registration postmark deadline.
April 1st: Postmark deadline for Performance Participation and Call for Proposals Form.
April 15th: ATME response to Proposal Form (acceptance/non-acceptance.)
June 20th: Pre-registration deadline.
August 10-11: ATME Pre-Conference.
August 11-14: ATHE Conference.