Movement and Dance Therapy
Members specializing in Movement and Dance Therapy:
Bibliography for Movement and Dance TherapyPrint Sources
- Ballnik, Denis K. “The Use of Dance/Movement Therapy as an Intervention in the Treatment of Eating Disorders.” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of California Los Angeles, 1985.
- Bartenieff, Irmgard. “Dance Therapy: A New Profession or a Rediscovery of an Ancient Role of the Dance?” Dance Scope, Fall/Winter, 1972-73: 6-18.
- Banchero, Barbara Fraser. “Preverbal Experience and the Beginnings of the Body Self.” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of California Los Angeles, 1988.
- Bernstein, Penny Lewis. Theoretical Approaches in Dance-Movement Therapy. Vols. 1 & 2. Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Co., 1984 & 1986. A manual for therapists, students, and educators; relationship between movement analysis and psychological concepts.
- Bruce, Violet. Dance and Dance Drama in Education. Oxford: Pergamon Press, 1965. On language of movement; as therapy.
- Chodorow, Joan. Dance Therapy and Depth Psychology: The Moving Imagination. New York: Routledge, 1991. 0-415-04113-9
- Davis, Consuelo V. “Nommotion: An African-centered Model of Dance Movement Therapy,” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of California Los Angeles, 1993.
- Dendinger, Rose Anne. “Movement and Dance in Ghana: A Model for Movement Therapy.” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of California Los Angeles, 1980.
- Frankiel, Tamar, and Judy Greenfeld. Minding the Temple of the Soul: Balancing Body, Mind, and Spirit through Traditional Jewish Prayer, Movement, and Meditation. Jewish Lights Publishing, 1996. ISBN 1879045648 Each chapter explores the meaning of a traditional Hebrew prayer, accompanied by a visualization practice and movement exercises; many of the exercises are based on the “Sefirot,” a Kabbalistic view of the body’s energy centers as patterns of divine manifestation.
- Hendricks, Gay and Kathlyn. At the Speed of Life: A New Approach to Personal Change Through Body-Centered Therapy. New York: Bantam, 1993. 0-553-37381-1
- Kestenberg, Judith S. The Role of Movement Patterns in Development. New York: Dance Notation Bureau, 1967.
- “Movement Therapy Issue.” The Drama Review, Vol. 20, #1, 1976.
- Mundstock, Ann. Oral History interview conducted by Judith Dunning. The Bancroft Library, University of California, Berkeley, 1986. Interview with a pioneer in Bay Area dance and movement therapy.
- Newham, Paul. The Singing Cure: An Introduction to Voice Movement Therapy. Boston: Shambhala, 1994. 0-87773-997-8
- ________. Using Voice and Movement in Therapy: The Practical Application of Voice Movement Therapy. London: Jessica Kingsley Publishers, 1999. ISBN 1853025925 Examines how massage, manipulation and dance, combined with vocal expression, can alleviate certain emotional, psychosomatic and psychological symptoms.
- North, Marion. Personality Assessment Through Movement. London: Macdonald & Evans, 1972.
- Payne, Helen, ed. Dance Movement Therapy: Theory and Practice. New York: Routledge, 1992. 0-415-05660-8
- Roth, Gabrielle. Sweat Your Prayers: Movement as Spiritual Practice. Putnam Publishing Group, 1998. ISBN 0874779596 Use of the power of rhythm for self-realization and awake the ecstatic dancer within. Explores the five universal rhythms: flowing, staccato, chaos, lyrical, and stillness.
- Schoop, Trudi with Peggy Mitchell. Won’t You Join the Dance? Palo Alto, CA: Mayfield Publishing Co., 1974.
- Siegel, Marcia B. “Effort/Shape and the Therapeutic Community,” Dance Magazine, June, 1968.
- Stanton-Jones, Kristina. An Introduction to Dance Movement Therapy in Psychiatry. New York: Routledge, 1992. 0-415-05983-6
- Wethered, Audrey. Movement and Drama in Therapy: The Therapeutic Use of Movement, Drama and Music. Boston: Plays, Inc., 1973.
- Witzer, Barbara Raymer. “Dance/Movement Therapy with Alcohol and Substance Abuse Patients: Moving Through Resistance.” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of California Los Angeles, 1992.
- Yewell, Rebecca Ellen. “The Use of Dance/Movement Therapy in the Analysis of Dreams.” Ph.D. Dissertation, University of California Los Angeles, 1982.