ATME houses a bibliography of resources for movement educators and practitioners.
To access the bibliography for a specific movement specialty, please select a training from the list below. To submit an entry, click here.
General Movement Training BibliographyPrint Sources
- Sanfilippo, Phyllis. The Reader’s Guide to the Alexander Technique: A Selected Annotated Bibliography. Long Beach, CA: Centerline Press, 1987.
- Beaumont, C.W., ed. A Bibliography of Dancing. New York: Benjamin Blom, 1963.
- Burke, Kate and Ginny Kopf. VASTA Bibliography 1993. Voice and Speech Trainers Association, 1993. Supplement published in 1995. New edition published in 1997. Topics include voice, text, dialects, body awareness, and speech science.
- Davis, Martha. Body Movement and Nonverbal Communication: An Annotated Bibliography, 1971-1981. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1982. Sequel to Understanding Body Movement.
- _________. Understanding Body Movement: An Annotated Bibliography. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 1972. Body language research.
- Dictionary Catalog of the Dance Collection. New York: New York Public Library, 1974.
- Fleshman, Bob, ed. Theatrical Movement: A Bibliographical Anthology. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press, 1986. Articles on movement training, body language, mime, notation. 500 pages on “movement performance of other cultures.”
- Heck, T. F. Commedia dell’Arte: A Guide to the Primary and Secondary Literature. New York: Garland Publishing, Inc., 1988.
- Janney, Kay Print. A Bibliography on the Mask. Blacksburg, VA: American Alliance for Theatre and Education, 1989. Available through Anchorage Press, New Orleans. Includes books on how to construct masks, using masks with kids, mask theory.
- Key, Mary Ritchie. Non-Verbal Communication: A Research Guide and Bibliography. Metuchen, NJ: Scarecrow Press, 1977. Comprehensive; on arts and performance, culture, daily life, notation, animals, etc.
- Magriel, Paul David. A Bibliography of Dancing. New York: The H.W. Wilson Co., 1936.
- Mueller, John. Dance Film Directory. Princeton, NJ: Princeton Book Publishers, 1979. Guide to films on ballet and modern dance.
- Ortolani, Benito, ed. International Bibliography of Theatre. New York: Theatre Research Data Center, Brooklyn College, CUNY, annually since 1982. Entries include dance, mime, popular entertainment, puppetry, ritual, and ceremony.
- Parker, David and Esther Siegel. Guide to Dance in Film. Detroit: Gale Research Co., 1978. Productions, dancers, choreographers, etc. Includes TV.
- Rolfe, Bari. Mime Directory/Bibliography. Spring Green, WI: International Mime and Pantomimists, 1978. Includes books, articles, films, etc. Indexed.
- ________. “Toward Speech in Ever Limb,” Educational Theatre Journal. 25(March 1973): 112-119. Review of some dozen books on movement for actors.
- Thimm, Carl Albert. A Complete Bibliography of Fencing and Dueling. New York: Benjamin Blom, 1968. From the middle ages to 1896.
- Toole-Stott, Raymond. Circus and the Allied Arts: A World Bibliography. 4 vols. Derby: Harper and Sons, 1958 and 1971.